One of the things I love is the smell of freshly dried clothes that have been dried on the washing line. With autumn looming I often find that we have to start using the tumble dryer and with so many kids inthe house once winter is here it never seems to be turned off! One of the ways to keep your clothes smelling lovely whilst using a tumble dryer is using dryer sheets however I found that the supermarket ones while smelled good, they weren’t all they were cracked up to be and they gave me a headache.
I was also frustrated with the static cling that was tough to get rid of without dryer sheets. After some experimentation I found a two-fold solution that left clothes static-free and nice smelling without the harmful artificial fragrances:
I looked for a natural dryer sheet to buy, but could never find an option with ingredients I truly felt comfortable with. Homemade was the best, cheapest and easiest option.
What you need:
- Scraps of cloth
- Essential oils of choice
- White Vinegar
- A glass jar with a wide lid or other storage container
What to do:
- Mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 25+ drops of essential oils of choice. I like Lemon and Lime, also Geranium for bedding.
- Fold the wipes or cloth scraps and place in your jar or storage container.
- Moisten but don’t saturate the cloth with the vinegar mixture (store extra in a bottle if you don’t need the entire mixture).
- Use one wipe/cloth per dryer load to freshen laundry. The vinegar smell will evaporate during drying and the essential oil scent will remain.