We know that from a marketing perspective packaging is extremely important. While perusing store shelves, whether consciously or unconsciously, many people pay more attention to how a product is packaged than anything else. Since that first impression often leads to a purchase, most skin care companies spend a lot of money and time on creating pretty packaging.
I know that packaging is important to our customers as well. However, our customers are not simply looking for “pretty” packaging they are looking for eco-friendly packaging from a company with an environmental conscience.
As an eco-friendly company, Soulistic must:
- minimize packaging materials
- use materials that have little environmental impact
- use materials that can be recycled by our customers
- re-use materials we have received
Your package is usually stuffed with our shredded recycled office paper. If you receive materials such as styrofoam peanuts or plastic bubble-wrap, we are simply reusing packaging materials that we have received.
We not only re-use the packing materials we receive but have also become a repository for surplus packaging materials from friends, family, and companies in our neighbourhood. Although we know that these rescued packaging materials are eventually destined for a landfill, at least they are getting reused before their final fate. If you do not wish to receive any protective plastic packaging, just put a note in our comments box when you check out.
Our Product Packaging is Over 99% Plastic-Free
We decided on recyclable tin-plated steel tins and aluminium bottles for our salves because they are easy and inexpensive to recycle. The steel in our tins contains between 30 and 50% recycled content.
- Aluminium requires only 5% of the energy to recycle into new cans, compared with mining new ones and creates little pollution.
- Recycling steel uses 60% less energy than making new steel. Since aluminium and steel can be recycled over and over without breaking down, the quality of the recycled product is just as good as the virgin product.
- A recycled can is generally turned into a new can and back on store shelves within 60 days after hitting the recycling bin.
- At the consumer level, each can that is recycled substantially reduces the environmental footprint of the next can.
The treatment pumps, available with some of our products, are metal on the outside, but the inside tube and protective cap are plastic. The misters, available with the body oils, are the same.
Our body and face oils and essential oils are packed in glass bottles.
Our sugar scrubs, and delicate whipped butters do not fare well in aluminium tins.
Metals are good conductors of heat and cold and the temperature changes dramatically affect the products. We decided on glass as an alternative to plastic.
- Glass jars are 100% recyclable and can be recycled without any loss in quality.
- Over a ton of natural resources are saved for every ton of glass recycled.
- Energy costs drop about 2-3% for every 10% cullet (crushed recycled glass) used in manufacturing.
- One ton of carbon dioxide is reduced for every six tons of recycled container glass used.
- Glass is made from all-natural sustainable raw materials–sand, soda ash, and limestone. Plastic is made from petroleum based non-renewable fossil fuels.