Sea buckthorn oil is extracted from the berries and seeds of the sea buckthorn plant.
This very concentrated oil has a deep red colour from its high carotene content. It contains essential fatty acids, carotenes, tocopherols (vitamin E) and phytosterols.
It is highly prized in the skin care industry due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties industry.
When applied topically it has been found helpful in treating acne, general dermatitis, rosacea, and eczema, as well as healing cuts, rashes, and minor burns, including sunburn and radiation
Why Do We Use It?
The Sea Buckthorn berry is a great source of vitamins, amino acids, fatty acids, and trace elements. It contains 106 known nutrients and bioactive substances and vitamins including vitamins A, C, and E, polyphenols, carotenoids, flavonoids, essential fatty acids, and trace elements including zinc, selenium, manganese, and iron.
A bioactive substance is a type of chemical found in small amounts in plants and foods (such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, oils, and whole grains). Bioactive compounds are not essential nutrients, but they seem to have actions in the body that may promote good health.
Bioactive compounds are not essential nutrients, but they seem to have actions in the body that may promote good health.
- Is the ultimate tissue healer
- Contains the rare Omega-7 fatty acid which is excellent for repairing skin, hair, and nails
- Is used in skin care products to even skin tone and texture
- Helps calm and soothe chronic skin conditions such as acne, eczema, rosacea, and psoriasis
- Helps reduce the signs of aging by softening fine lines, wrinkles, and ages spots
- Encourages cell turnover for bright, clear, healthy skin
- Is great product for daily skin care
- Helps balance skin oil production
- Has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbiological activity that helps promote wound healing and reduce scarring
- Promotes healing of eczema, rosacea, and burns, including radiation and sunburn
- May help kill the Demodex mites that can cause rosacea
Our sea buckthorn oil is certified organic and cold pressed to keep nutrients from degenerating due to heat exposure. In this process, the oil is forced from the berries using only mechanical pressure.
Obtaining sea buckthorn oil is a difficult process. The first step of harvesting the fruit is no easy task. The berries are tightly bunched on very thick and thorny branches, making it difficult to pick them without crushing them. The berries are surrounded by sharp thorns to protect the fruit from birds and other animals. These needle-sharp thorns will stab your fingers as you try to pick the fruit.
Preparing the delicate berries is also tedious work. Since their thin skin easily absorbs water, which would dilute the valuable oils inside, they cannot be washed. They must be hand cleaned. Over ten pounds of berries are needed to produce one pound of oil.
Less expensive forms of Sea Buckthorn can be extracted using solvents like hexane, a by-product of gasoline. The seeds and berry pulp are soaked in the solvents which draw out the oils. Residues of petroleum solvents may remain in the oil which can cause allergic reactions and skin irritation.
Soulistic products made with Sea Buckthorn Oil